If your search query or browser homepage is being redirected to Yahoo, it could mean that a browser hijacker is causing the redirects. Yahoo is regarded as a legitimate search engine. But, there are lots of browser hijackers that redirect the search queries of users to Yahoo.com.
Yahoo Search is not malicious as such. It is just that malware explicitly messes with the web browser settings, which is when Yahoo Search is displayed. It is used by cybercriminals to generate revenues from the search performed.
The browser is directed back to Yahoo Search due to a browser extension or malicious program installed on your computer. This program is provided through advertisements. It is also combined with software that leaves users perplexed of its source.
This is why you need to focus on the installation of the software. Be extra careful about what you want to install. Choose a custom installation. Deselect anything you believe is not familiar. This is also true for the optional software you do not want to download.
Below is the step-by-step guide on how to stop Yahoo from hijacking your browser.
Uninstall The Program That is Malicious
Check for any malicious program that is installed on your computer. The adware programs or browser hijackers have the usable uninstall entries. Use them to remove the programs.
- Go to the “Settings” menu and open it. Click the button “Start” on the taskbar. Select “Settings”.
- Click on the “Apps”. Continue on the “Apps and the Features”. Once the window for “Window Settings” opens, click on “Apps”. It will open “Apps and Features”.
- Look for the malicious program. Uninstall it. Search for the “Apps and Features” displayed along with the programs installed on the computer. Click so that you highlight the malicious program. Click the “uninstall button”.
- Continue with the prompts displayed on-screen. This will enable you to uninstall the program. Confirm the process of uninstalling by clicking on “Uninstall”. Continue with the prompts so that you uninstall the program. Read the prompts carefully. Other malicious programs will sneak things hoping that you will not read it closely.
Make Use of Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes is among the most used and most popular anti-malware software used for Windows. This can destroy different malware types. This will never cost you anything. Clean up an infected device with the Malwarebytes.
- Download the Malwarebytes.
- Double-click on the setup files for the Malwarebytes. When it is already finished, double-click on the setup file. Install it on your computer. Downloaded files will be saved directly to the Downloads folder.
- Follow the prompts displayed on-screen. When the installation begins, the setup wizard for the Malwarebytes is then seen. This guides you throughout the process of installation. You will be asked about the type of computer to install the program. Click Work computer or Personal computer.
- Choose “Use Malwarebytes Free”. You will then be directed to choosing between the Premium and Free version. As per the Premium edition, it highlights some of the preventative tools, such as ransomware and real-time scanning protection.
- Click on “Scan”. Use the Malwarebytes in scanning your computer. Click on the button for “Scan”. It will then update the database for antivirus. Begin scanning the computer for malware.
- Wait until the Malwarebytes scan is completed. This will take several minutes.
- Click on “Quarantine”. Once the scan is completed, a screen that shows the malware infections will be presented. Remove the malicious program found by clicking on the “Quarantine” button.
- Restart the computer.
Use the HitmanPro When Scanning for Unwanted and Malware Programs
The HitmanPro follows a unique approach when scanning malware. This also scans the active files and their behavior. The suspicious file is sent back to the cloud and scanned by the best anti-virus engines.
Use the AdwCleaner When Double-Checking for Any Malicious Program
Detect and then remove the malware using AdwCleaner. This is free, popular, and well-known. This ensures that your computer is one-hundred percent clean.
- Download the AdwCleaner.
- Double-click the setup file.
- Click on the “Scan Now”.
- Wait until the AdwCleaner Scan is completed.
- Click on the “Clean and Repair”.
- Click on the “Clean and Restart Now”.
Restart the Settings of Your Browser
Reset the settings of your browser if the computer is still directed back to Yahoo. This should be performed if issues are still not solved following the steps above.
- Click on the icon for the menu. Click on the “settings”.
- Click “Advanced”.
- Click the “Reset settings to the original defaults”.
- Click the “Reset settings”.
Now, you have finally stopped Yahoo from hijacking your browser. Just follow the step-by-step process to guide you without any hassles.