Almost every PC user has encountered the word “cookies” at least once. However, not everybody clearly understands what cookies are and why they must be cleared or deleted. In this article, you will learn more about cookies and how you can clear cookies on Mac.
Cookies – What Are They?
Cookies are tiny text files that most websites give to everyone who visits their webpage. These websites create and save cookies in a user’s browser. These tiny text files (cookies) contain data: user logins, preferences, passwords, statistics, and some other related information.
Every time you visit a website, it will send cookies to your browser to identify you as a user. Due to that, you’ll have a smoother and quicker passage the next time you visit the same website. The content loads faster as you’ve been there before. Plus, logging in your username and password will not be necessary for your succeeding visits.
- Authenticate the user
- Store user settings and preferences
- Monitor the status of your access session
- Conduct different user statistics
The web browsers are collecting the statistics of their users for a wide range of purposes. These include showing you advertisements related to you, calculating a website’s rank, protecting your data, and a lot more.
Cookies are just text data, so they can’t perform any other action alone. Cookies cannot work like spyware or computer viruses. Many modern browsers allow their users to decide to accept the cookies or not. Declining the cookies may make it impossible for users to navigate on some websites.
Why Should You Clear Cookies on Mac?
Despite how useful they are, cookies can also cause some drawbacks, such as:
- Anybody who can open your computer will be able to login to websites and forums using your name.
- A large number of cookies will consume more disk space.
- It’s possible to track the history of your visits, which may be against the privacy viewpoint.
How to Clear Cookies on Mac?
Better browsing experience and improved privacy are just two of the benefits you can enjoy in clearing the stored cookies in your browser. Clearing cookies manually could be difficult and full of hassle if you use multiple browsers. In this case, you can use a free software program such as the App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
The application will allow you to clear the cache files with preferences, logins, and cookies for all your browsers in one click. Get started with these steps:
- Download the app and open it.
- Check your web browsers and choose “Caches” for each of them.
- Click on the “Remove Service Files” button.
How to Clear Cookies on Mac Manually
Whether you just want to do some sort of simple maintenance or are facing some browsing problems with Safari, clearing the cookies manually can be very helpful. Get started by following the steps outlined below:
- Start by launching Safari.
- Proceed to the menu bar that you will see on the upper left side of the screen. Click on “History”.
- Use a drop-down menu in picking the best timeframe or time range you like to delete browsing history and cookies stored in your browser.
- To start clearing the cookies and browsing history, click on “Clear History”. By clearing the history, you will also see all those cache files and cookies cleared.
Learning how to clear cookies on Mac should not be a big problem. Follow the steps and tricks given above, and you’re good to go. You can also check the video below that will show you how to get rid of cookies on your Mac the easier way: